Search This Blog

Sunday 2 September 2012

Netgear wn111v2 on debian with free driver

I was given/stole a wn111v2 from my son. After a bit of a search i found it had a free gpl2 firmware \0/

Depending on your kernel

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170#ar9170usb_driver

Check your kernel

code:
uname -a

debian@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-3-686-pae #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 03:50:34 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

Choose the correct firmware for your kernel from the site. download it and as root Copy the correct firmware to /lib/firmware

code:
su
enter root password

code:
cp carl9170-1.fw /lib/firmware/

reboot

code:
shutdown -r now

open wicd

under preferences "wireless interface" I put "wlan0"

then

check box to use encryption if you router is locked
on mine I had to choose wep/shared restricted and enter my key. This was weird as on my netbook I used wep 9hex[0-9/A-F])  ynmv

enter your wep key ?????????

restart wicd - done